Golf umbrellas are essential gear for those who play in any weather. Whether it’s hot and sunny or cold and rainy, having a golf umbrella on the course is a must.
Everyone knows to be fully prepared for a rainy day on the golf course, it is essential to have a good golf umbrella, along with rain gear and shoes. But it’s just as important to have a golf umbrella on sunny days to protect yourself from the sun’s UV rays, especially when spending such a long time outside. Plus some golf courses may lack shade, making an umbrella your only protection along with sunscreen.
So let’s check out one of the key golf accessories – our favorite golf umbrellas.
What Is The Difference Between Normal Umbrellas And Golf Umbrellas?
- Normal Umbrella: Standard umbrellas are typically smaller in size, designed mainly to protect one person from rain. The canopy diameter usually ranges from 37 to 50 inches (94 to 127 cm).
- Golf Umbrella: Golf umbrellas are larger, often designed to shield both the golfer and their golf bag. The canopy diameter can range from 47 to 70 inches (127 to 178 cm) or even more.
- Normal Umbrella: These can be compact, designed to fold down into a small size suitable for carrying in a purse or backpack. They often have a manual or automatic open/close mechanism.
- Golf Umbrella: Typically, golf umbrellas are not compact. They are designed with a straight shaft and often lack the collapsible feature. Many have a vented or double canopy design to withstand wind better.
3. Durability and Wind Resistance:
- Normal Umbrella: While there are high-quality standard umbrellas, many are not explicitly designed to handle high winds and can flip inside out in gusty conditions.
- Golf Umbrella: Built for the open spaces of a golf course, where wind can be a significant factor, these umbrellas often have features like a double canopy to prevent them from inverting in strong gusts.
4. Handle and Grip:
- Normal Umbrella: These often come with a variety of handle designs, some of which are compact and ergonomic for easy carrying.
- Golf Umbrella: The handle is typically longer and straight, with an ergonomic grip. Some are designed with non-slip materials to be held securely, even when wet. And some items are designed specifically to be used on/with your golf cart.
5. Intended Use:
- Normal Umbrella: Primarily for personal use to protect against rain or sun when walking in urban areas, commuting, or attending events.
- Golf Umbrella: Specifically designed for golfers on the course, but due to their size and durability, they’re also popular for other outdoor events or situations where larger coverage is desired.
6. Aesthetics and Style:
- Normal Umbrella: Available in a wide range of colors, patterns, and styles suitable for daily use.
- Golf Umbrella: Often branded with golf company logos or more sporty designs. However, they are also available in a variety of colors and patterns.
What To Look For In A Golf Umbrella?
- The larger the canopy, the more protection it offers. Look for an umbrella with a diameter between 47 to 70+ inches to ensure both you and your golf bag stay dry.
2. Double Canopy Design
- A double canopy or vented design allows wind to pass through the umbrella, reducing the risk of it flipping inside out or being yanked from your hands during gusty conditions.
3. UV Protection
- For sunny days, consider an umbrella with UV-protective fabric. It will shield you from harmful ultraviolet rays while also keeping you cooler.
4. Shaft Material
- Fiberglass: Lightweight, durable, and doesn’t conduct electricity.
- Steel or Metal: Heavier and might not be as flexible as fiberglass, but can be sturdy.
- An ergonomic and non-slip handle ensures a comfortable and firm grip, even in wet conditions. If using a push cart, ensure that the umbrella’s handle fits securely into the designated placement on the cart.
6. Opening Mechanism
- Automatic Open: Allows for quick and easy deployment.
- Manual Open: Might require more effort but can be more durable without the automatic parts that can malfunction.
7. Build Quality
- Check for reinforced seams, rib quality, and the overall feel. A robust and well-constructed umbrella will last longer and perform better.
8. Water & Wind Resistance
- The fabric should be water-repellent to ensure quick drying and optimal protection. Also, look for an umbrella with a sturdy frame and ribs that can withstand strong gusts without flipping inside out.
- While you want a sturdy umbrella, it shouldn’t be so heavy that it’s cumbersome to carry around the course.
- Golf umbrellas come in various colors, patterns, and designs. Many golfers view their umbrella as an extension of their personal style.
10 Best Golf Umbrellas
1) Callaway 60″ Single Canopy (Best Single Canopy)
- Size: Ample coverage to keep both you and your golf bag dry.
- Brand Reputation: Callaway is a reputable golf brand known for its high-quality products.
- Design: Its single canopy design is both simple and practical. And tension cables prevent canopy inverting
- UV Protection: Protects from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Ergonomic Handle: Ergonomic, non-slip molded handle and fiberglass shaft
- Good value: Good price for a good golf umbrella
- Single Canopy: Might not withstand high winds as effectively as a double canopy design.
2) Mizuno Dual Canopy 64″ Golf Umbrella (Best Value)
- Dual Canopy: Designed to withstand high winds.
- Size: Offers extensive coverage to stay dry, ideal for protecting both golfer and golf bag..
- Quality Brand: Mizuno is known for its high-quality golf accessories.
- PGA Tour: Used on the course by PGA Tour Professional, Keith Mitchell
- Value for Money: Despite its advanced features, this umbrella is reasonably priced.
- Ergonomic handle: Makes it difficult to fit into the golf push cart holder.
3) G4 Free Golf Umbrella (Most Popular)
- Variety Of Color And Size Options: Wide range of colors. Also, 47/54/62/68 inch options
- Great Value: One of the lowest-priced golf umbrellas on this list
- Double Canopy Design: Allows the wind to pass through during gusty conditions.
- Automatic Open: The automatic open mechanism allows for quick and easy operation.
- Durable Construction: It features a sturdy fiberglass shaft and ribs for maximum durability. And it has a 1-year warranty.
- Quality Issues: Some users have experienced quality issues with tearing and breakage.
- Weight: Some users find it heavy, while others do not.
4) TaylorMade 60″ Single Canopy (Best Reviewed)
- Brand Reputation: TaylorMade is a respected and well-known brand in the golf industry, ensuring high-quality products.
- Comfortable Grip: Features an ergonomic handle for a comfortable and secure grip.
- Sturdy Construction: High-quality, lightweight, looks good, and keeps you dry.
- Size: Some people prefer a larger umbrella for added durability and coverage.
- Price: Relatively a bit higher price than other value umbrellas on this list.
5) Callaway Paradym 68″ Double Golf Umbrella (Best Large)
- Size: Its large 68″ canopy provides extensive coverage with a double canopy, ensuring you and your golf gear stay dry even in heavy rain.
- Brand Reputation: Callaway is a respected golf brand known for high-quality products.
- UV Protection: The fabric protects from harmful ultraviolet rays, keeping you safe on sunny days.
- Durable Construction: Constructed with sturdy materials, this umbrella promises a longer lifespan than average.
- Size: While the large canopy is an advantage in the rain, it could be cumbersome on calm, dry days.
- Weight: Owing to its size and durable structure, it may be heavier than other models.
- Price: The premium features of this umbrella come with a higher price tag.
6) Weatherman 68″ Golf Umbrella (Best Premium)
- Large Canopy: The 68″ canopy offers expansive coverage, keeping you and your golf gear dry, even in heavy showers.
- Storm Proof: With a sturdy construction and aerodynamic design, it can withstand wind speeds up to 55 mph.
- Lifetime Warranty: Covers any malfunction or defect
- Award Winning: Winner of the Golf Digest Editors’ Choice award for 5 years running
- Used by Pros: Official Umbrella Supplier of the U.S. Ryder Cup Team.
- Weight: Given its large size and robust build, this umbrella may be heavier than some other models, which could be a drawback for some users.
- Price: As a premium product, the Weatherman 68″ Golf Umbrella comes with a higher price tag.
7) Adidas 64″ Double Canopy Umbrella
- Size: With a 64″ double canopy, the umbrella provides ample coverage to keep you and your golf gear dry.
- Brand Reputation: Adidas is a globally recognized brand known for high-quality sports accessories.
- Durable Construction: Constructed with sturdy materials, this umbrella is built to last.
- Sleek Design: For those who like Adidas, it’s a sleek-looking golf umbrella with their logo.
- Price: Despite offering advanced features, this umbrella comes with a relatively higher price tag.
- Limited Color Options: This model comes in one color
8) PING 68″ Tour Golf Umbrella (Good Large)
- Size: The large 68″ size offers generous rain protection for both golfer and golf gear.
- Brand Reputation: PING is a recognized and well-respected brand in the golf industry.
- Durability: Constructed with robust materials to withstand various weather conditions.
- Design: Designed with a Tour-inspired look, a perfect blend of style and functionality.
- Weight: Due to its large size and durability, it might be heavier than some other models.
- Price: It’s pricier than other golf umbrellas on this list, although it is bigger.
9) Gonex (Most Affordable)
- Affordable: The Gonex golf umbrella is one of the most affordable options on the market, making it accessible for all golfers.
- Durable: Despite its low price, it is constructed with quality materials for long-lasting use.
- Multiple Color & Size Options: Offers 54/62/68 Inch options.
- Automatic opening: It features an automatic opening mechanism for quick and easy operation.
- Dual Canopy: Designed with a dual canopy to withstand high winds.
- Brand Recognition: It is not as well-known or recognized as other brands in the golf industry.
- Quality Issues: Some users reported that it broke easily and the material is of low quality.
10) Titleist Tour Double Canopy Umbrella 68″ (Best Double Canopy)
- Tour Inspired Design: Look just like a pro on the golf course
- Brand Reputation: Titleist is a highly respected and recognized brand in the golf industry.
- Size: The large umbrella provides ample coverage, keeping both golfer and gear dry.
- Durable Construction: Built with sturdy materials, this umbrella offers longevity and reliability. Along with a double canopy design with a premium anti-inversion system.
- Price: Being a product from a premium brand, the umbrella comes with a relatively higher price tag.
Single Vs. Double Canopy
- Design: Traditional umbrellas, including many golf umbrellas, are made with a single layer of fabric that stretches across the frame.
- Wind Resistance: In strong winds, a single canopy has the potential to catch the wind like a sail, which can cause the umbrella to flip inside out or be pulled from the user’s hands.
- Weight and Simplicity: Single canopies are typically lighter and less complicated in design than double canopies.
- Design: A double canopy umbrella features two layers of fabric. The top layer resembles a traditional umbrella, while the bottom layer sits underneath it. Between the two layers, there are small vents or gaps.
- Wind Resistance: The vents in the double canopy allow wind to pass through the umbrella rather than get caught underneath it. This significantly reduces the chance of the umbrella flipping inside out in strong gusts. It makes the umbrella more stable and easier to manage in windy conditions.
- Additional Protection: The double layer can also provide added protection against rain and UV rays, depending on the material used.
- Weight: Due to the additional layer of fabric and potentially more robust framing to support the design, double-canopy umbrellas might be slightly heavier than single-canopy ones.
How To Maintain Your Golf Umbrella?
To ensure the longevity of your golf umbrella:
- Dry Before Storing: After use, especially in the rain, always allow your umbrella to fully dry before storing it away. This prevents mold and mildew.
- Handle with Care: Even though golf umbrellas are sturdy, it’s essential to handle them with care to avoid damaging the frame.
- Clean Regularly: Wipe down the canopy and frame with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris. For more in-depth cleaning, some canopies can be washed with mild soap and water.