One of the most crucial pieces of equipment for a volleyball player, aside from the ball itself, is the shoes. The best volleyball shoes not only provide comfort and protection but also enhance performance by offering grip, stability, and flexibility.
Usually, because the movements are similar to basketball and you’re playing on a similar court, some volleyball players go for basketball shoes as their volleyball shoes. So, if you want to rock the newest Lebrons, go for it! But we are going to focus more on volleyball-specific shoes. In this article, we’ll look at the best volleyball shoes in the market and why we like them.
Features to Consider in Volleyball Shoes
- Grip & Traction: A non-slip sole is essential for volleyball to ensure safety and to facilitate quick movements without sliding.
- Cushioning: The shoe must offer ample cushioning to absorb the shocks that come from jumping and landing.
- Breathability: Ventilation is crucial to prevent excessive sweating and keep the feet dry and comfortable.
- Stability: To prevent injuries, particularly to the ankle, volleyball shoes should provide excellent lateral support.
- Flexibility: The shoe should allow for natural foot movements, especially during rapid direction changes.
Best Volleyball Shoes For Women
1) Nike Air Zoom Hyper Ace (Most Popular)
- Responsive Cushioning: The Zoom Air unit in the heel ensures quick, reactive support during jumps and rapid court movements.
- Sturdy Design: This shoe is likely to withstand rigorous play over time and it’s designed for the quick side-to-side movements of volleyball.
- Breathability: The mesh and synthetic materials allow for proper ventilation, keeping the feet dry and comfortable.
- Traction: Also the sole offers a good grip on indoor courts, reducing chances of slipping.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that it is not as comfortable or durable as they would prefer.
2) CrazyFlight Mid Volleyball Shoes (Best Overall)
- Enhanced Ankle Support: The mid-cut design provides added support to the ankle, ensuring better stability. And the outsole offers excellent grip on indoor courts, reducing the likelihood of slips.
- Boost Cushioning: Known for its energy return, the Boost system aids in making jumps more powerful and landings softer.
- Breathability: The mesh upper design ensures proper air circulation, keeping feet dry and comfortable during play.
- Stylish Design: Not only functional but it also boasts a modern, sleek appearance. And there are many color options to choose from.
3) PUMA Accelerator NITRO SQD Indoor (Best Lightweight)
- NITRO Foam: The inclusion of their NITRO foam provides responsive cushioning, enhancing comfort and support during play.
- Grip & Traction: Designed specifically for indoor courts, it offers excellent grip, ensuring players can move without slipping.
- Lightweight: The shoes are light making it easy to jump and move on the court with precision and speed.
- Stylish Aesthetics: As with many PUMA products, this shoe also boasts a contemporary look that many users love. Comes in sizes for both women and men.
- Price: The shoe is priced slightly higher than others on this list.
4) Mizuno 2 Wave Momentum (Best Premium)
- Wave Technology: Mizuno’s signature wave plate provides excellent shock absorption and stability, particularly beneficial for the rapid movements in volleyball.
- U4icX Midsole: This feature ensures superior comfort and cushioning, making long matches more bearable for the feet.
- DynamotionFit: The shoe offers a snug fit adapting to the foot’s movement, ensuring both comfort and agility during play.
- Breathability: The design incorporates materials that promote air circulation, helping to keep the feet dry.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Mizuno’s design is sleek and modern, appealing to many players who want style on the court.
- Price Point: As a premium shoe, the Wave Momentum 2 might be on the pricier side for some buyers.
5) Asics UpCourt 5 (Most Affordable)
- Affordability: As one of the more budget-friendly options in the volleyball shoe market, the UpCourt 5 offers good value for its price.
- Grip & Traction: Designed for indoor courts, the shoe provides decent traction, ensuring players can move without fear of slips.
- Cushioning: Despite its lower price point, it does not skimp on comfort, providing adequate cushioning for the foot.
- Smaller Size: Reviewers have mentioned that the product runs small and narrow, and some have even received the wrong size.
6) Under Armour HOVR Highlight Ace Elite (Best High-Tops)
- HOVR Technology: Under Armour’s HOVR foam tech provides a ‘zero gravity feel’, ensuring excellent energy return and impact absorption.
- High-Top Design: This offers enhanced ankle support
- Breathability: Despite the high-top design, the shoe incorporates breathable mesh to keep the feet comfortable and dry.
- Durable & Sturdy: Built with quality materials, the shoe promises longevity even with frequent play.
- Stylish Aesthetics: Merging functionality with style, the design stands out on the court, appealing to those who want a blend of performance and fashion.
- Price Point: Being a premium shoe with advanced tech, it comes with a slightly higher price tag.
7) Under Armour HOVE Block City (Runner Up Overall)
- HOVR Technology: Again this shoe is incorporating Under Armour’s renowned HOVR foam, thereby providing great impact absorption and good cushioning.
- Grip & Traction: Specifically designed for the court, these shoes offer excellent traction, reducing the risk of slips and enhancing player confidence.
- Supportive Design: The structure and build of the shoe ensures a snug fit and offers adequate support for intense court movements. Also, I personally like to minimalistic look of this shoe.
- Durability: Built with high-quality materials, these shoes promise longevity, even with rigorous and frequent use.
8) Adidas Court Flight Indoor (Best Value at DSG)
- Responsive Cushioning: The Bounce midsole keeps you cushioned and comfortable.
- Grip & Traction: They provide a good grippy traction
- Lightweight Design: These shoes prioritize agility, ensuring players don’t feel weighed down during play.
- Good Value: Priced reasonably, they offer good value for the features and performance they provide.
- Simple Aesthetics: Classic Adidas shoe with iconic 3 stripes.
- Only Available at DSG: For this shoe, it is only sold at Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Best Volleyball Shoes For Men
9) Asics Men’s UpCourt Volleyball Shoes (Most Affordable)
- Great Value for Money: As one of the more budget-friendly options in the volleyball shoe market,.
- Comfortable Cushioning: The shoe offers a reasonable level of cushioning for decent comfort.
- Breathability: Its design incorporates mesh panels, ensuring players’ feet remain ventilated throughout the game.
- Versatility: Suitable for both beginners and casual players, its design can also be used for various indoor sports.
- Durability Issues: Being a more affordable option, the shoe might not withstand intense, frequent play as long as some of its premium counterparts.
- Ankle Support: The shoe might not offer the same level of ankle support as mid or high-top alternatives.
10) Asics Sky Elite Flyte Foam Mid (Best Men’s Overall)
- FlyteFoam Technology: Similar to other shoe technology, Asics tech offers great cushioning and bounce-back properties, to ensure responsive play and reduced foot fatigue.
- Mid-cut Design: The higher cut and DYNAWRAP tech provides enhanced ankle support, crucial for stability for side-to-side movements, and injury prevention during high-intensity play.
- Durable Construction: Made with quality materials, the shoe promises longevity, even with regular intense play.
- Modern Aesthetics: The Sky Elite boasts a sleek and contemporary design, appealing to those who want some style on the court.
- Price Point: Given the advanced technology and design, the shoe is on the pricier side on this list.
11) Giannis Immortality 2 (Best Basketball Shoe For Volleyball)
- Great Value: For a Nike basketball shoe from the NBA superstar Nike line is priced incredibly well.
- Solid Cushioning Support: Shape of the sole in the heel is designed for optimal cushioning for your heel and foot.
- Breathability: Engineered mesh upper is lightweight and breathable
- Durability: Durable rubber outsole. And entire shoe is made with quality materials.
- Colorful Design: A sleek, colorful, and contemporary design.
- Not a Volleyball-specific shoe: So, I mentioned in the intro that this list would mostly have volleyball-specific shoes, but let me tell you, this basketball shoe performs great for volleyball, looks awesome, and comes at a good value price.
12) Mizuno Men’s Wave Lightning Z6 (Best Value For Men)
- Wave Technology: Mizuno’s signature wave plate ensures fantastic shock absorption and stability, tailored for the explosive movements of hitters in volleyball.
- Comfortability: Great comfort and snug fit
- Lightweight Design: The Wave Lightning Z6 is crafted to be agile and light, allowing players to move and jump with speed across the court.
- High Traction Sole: Designed specifically for indoor courts, this shoe boasts excellent grip, enabling confident plays and reducing slip risks.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The shoe merges functionality with modern design.
- Price Point: As a premium volleyball shoe, the Wave Lightning Z6 is slightly higher, but still a great value in my opinion.
How to Choose the Right Volleyball Shoe for You?
- Fit: Always ensure the shoe fits snugly but not too tight. There should be a thumb’s width of space between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- Frequency of Play: If you’re an occasional player, you might not need top-tier shoes. However, frequent players or professionals should invest in the best quality they can afford for durability and performance.
- Budget: While it’s essential to invest in good shoes, there are quality options available across various price points. Find a balance between quality and affordability.
The right volleyball shoes can significantly enhance your game by ensuring safety, comfort, and maximum performance. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, invest time in finding the perfect pair that matches your needs and playing style. After all, your shoes form the foundation of every jump, spike, and save you make on the court.