Volleyball, a sport that requires agility, speed, and precision, also demands the utmost care for its players’ safety. While mastering the skill of a dive or a roll, protecting the knees from potential injuries is paramount. Enter volleyball knee pads and elbow pads. These essential protective gear pieces are designed to shield the knees from scrapes, bruises, and impacts.
But with an array of options in the market, how do you select the best? We have researched and found the best volleyball knee pads, ensuring you get both protection and optimum play.
What are Volleyball Pads?
Volleyball knee pads are protective gear specifically designed for volleyball players. They are worn over the knees and consist of cushioned padding, often made from materials such as foam, gel, or a combination of both. These pads are typically encased in a durable and elastic fabric, allowing them to stretch and fit snugly around the player’s knees.
Purpose of Volleyball Knee Pads:
- Protection from Impact: The most primary function of a volleyball knee pad is to safeguard the player’s knees from potential injuries. During a game, players often dive or fall onto the court to save or attack the ball. The knee pads act as a cushion, absorbing the shock from these impacts and preventing direct trauma to the knee.
- Protection from Abrasion: Volleyball courts, especially indoor ones, can be abrasive. When players dive or slide on the court, they risk scraping or bruising their knees. Knee pads provide a protective layer, preventing direct contact of the skin with the court surface.
- Comfort and Support: While their main function is protection, knee pads can also offer players a sense of comfort and support. A well-fitted knee pad can provide slight compression, which some players find reassuring during play which can boost their confidence.
Our Criteria for the Best Volleyball Knee Pads
- Material Quality: We opt for knee pads made of high-quality material that offers resilience against wear and tear, ensures longevity, and provides adequate shock absorption.
- Fit and Comfort: A knee pad that fits snugly without restricting movement is essential. It should be comfortable enough for prolonged wear, ensuring that the player is not distracted by constant adjustments.
- Breathability: We look for materials that allow for air circulation and can help reduce sweat and prevent chafing.
- Protection: The primary purpose of the knee pad is to protect. Look for those that offer a good balance between thickness and flexibility.
- Ease of Cleaning: Knee pads will inevitably get sweaty and dirty. Those that can be easily washed and dried are preferable.
- Style & Design: Choose based on your personal preference. But while the primary purpose of knee pads is protection, many players also consider the style and do we.
- Brand Reputation: Brands with a long-standing reputation in sports gear, especially volleyball equipment, are generally more reliable.
Best Volleyball Knee Pads
1) Nike Essentials Volleyball Knee Pad (Most Popular)
I recently tried the Nike Essentials Volleyball Knee Pad and was genuinely impressed. The ergonomic design wrapped snugly around my knee, allowing me full mobility on the court. I especially appreciated the Dri-FIT liner, which kept my knees dry during the game. Overall, these knee pads are popular for a reason. They provide what you want in volleyball knee pads: protection, comfort, and durability.
2) BodyProx Knee Pads (Most Affordable)
I gave the BodyProx Volleyball Knee Pad a shot, given its affordable price point. To my surprise, despite the budget-friendly tag, they provided good protection during my games. The fit was comfortable, and they stayed in place during rigorous dives and plays. For those on a tight budget, these knee pads are a good value option.
3) Adidas 5″ Knee Pad (Best Smaller Size)
I wanted to try the Adidas 5″ Volleyball Knee Pad, because I was attracted by its compact size. Right off the bat, I noticed its sleek design fit perfectly without any excess bulk, making it great for those who prefer minimalistic gear. Despite its smaller size, the protection level was uncompromised. It’s a top pick for anyone lookoing for a smaller-sized knee pad.
4) Mizuno LR6 Volleyball Knee Pads (Best Overall)
After trying various brands, I settled on the Mizuno LR6 Volleyball Knee Pad, and it’s been a game-changer. The fit is impeccable, molding to my knee without any discomfort. The protection it offers is top-notch, giving me the confidence to dive and slide without hesitation. Hands down, it’s the best overall knee pad I’ve ever used, marrying comfort with outstanding protection.
5) Adidas Primeknit Knee Pad (Our Favorite)
But then I recently got my hands on the Adidas Primeknit Volleyball Knee Pad, and it quickly became my favorite. The Primeknit material not only ensures a snug fit but also offers unparalleled breathability which I most appreciate because I sweat a lot. The cushioning is just right, making my dives and plays feel much safer. It’s a blend of style, comfort, and protection that’s hard to beat, making it my personal favorite. But it is on the higher priced end for knee pads.
6) Adidas Elite Volleyball Knee Pad (Best Overall)
I’ve been playing volleyball for years, and the Adidas Elite Volleyball Knee Pad is one of the best I’ve come across. For the price and value, overall I rank it tied with the Mizuno LR6 knee pad. The moment I wore them, the superior cushioning and fit stood out immediately. On the court, they provided great protection without compromising mobility. Truly, in terms of overall performance, these knee pads take the top spot (tied with Mizuno LR6).
7) McDavid Hex Knee Pads Compression Leg Sleeve (Best Combo)
So the McDavid Hex Knee Pads with Compression Leg Sleeve really caught my attention. cause of the added benefit of the compression sleeve enhanced my blood circulation and offered added support during matches. FYI – I’m normally a compression arm sleeves type of person.
And the HEX design not only provided excellent protection but also ensured a unique aesthetic appeal. So, for anyone seeking protection and compression in one package, this combo is undoubtedly the best choice.
Best Volleyball Pads For Youth
1) Mizuno Youth Core T10 Plus (Best Youth)
The Mizuno Youth Core T10 Plus is a standout choice for young volleyball players. Tailored specifically for youth, it ensures a snug fit while providing excellent protection on the court. Its design gives budding athletes the confidence to move freely and fearlessly on the court. For young players stepping into the game, this knee pad is undoubtedly our top recommendation.
2) Wilson Youth Knee Pad (Runner Up – Youth)
Another good option for young volleyball enthusiasts. It guarantees a secure fit and ample protection on the court. The padding is robust, giving the next generation of players confidence in every movement on the court. Our runner-up in the youth category, it’s an excellent choice for aspiring volleyball players.
Knee Pads We Didn’t Like
Nike Adult Vapor Elite & Nike Adult Vapor
I was genuinely disappointed with both the Nike Adult Vapor Elite and the Nike Adult Vapor knee pads. Given the price tag, I expected top-notch quality, but they fell short of the mark. Additionally, I found them to be considerably bulkier compared to other brands, hindering my mobility on the court. Normally a Nike fan, it was surprising to see such a mismatch between price and performance from Nike.
If you go to any volleyball match, you’ll probably see around 60% to 100% of players wearing knee pads. So, you can see how important volleyball knee pads are for the safety and performance of a player.
So when selecting the best knee pads, it’s crucial to prioritize protection without compromising on comfort and flexibility. The above-mentioned options in this article are some of the best in the market, ensuring that players, whether amateur or professional, can give their best on the court while staying protected.